Monday, January 7, 2013

Discovering

The past few days I have found myself falling even more in love with this place. Had you asked me if this was even possible a week ago, I would have quickly replied no. I already love this city beyond words, but it has happened. There are many reasons for this actually. 

The play Somersaults changed my life. It was beyond beautiful in every manner possible. I have seen plays that have really moved me before, but this one was fantastic. It was put on in a wine loft and about 35 people fit into the space. The intimate setting was incredible; the actors were able to see you and you were able to see them. The invisible curtain between actor and audience that is created in some venues was nonexistent. The play focused on the power of language specifically our first language or native tongue, and how if that native tongue was simply absent one day it would take a part of your identity with it. We have all been taught that words are powerful, but I had never really focused on how extremely powerful a language as whole is. Beautiful from start to finish. 

I sat in on the House of Commons debate in Parliament this afternoon. As they debated safety, student visas, immigration, and a few more topics, my mind was blown. I was seeing government decisions happening before my eyes; it was such a unique experience. I felt like a true Brit sitting there hanging on their every word (Well actually, I felt like an actual member of parliament thanks to the super legit photo badge you receive post security scans). Everyone should take advantage of this free opportunity.

The little things have also added up; everything from simply having my favorite yogurt to going on my the same walks I loved the first time round. Discovering new things, trying that cup of coffee I never did, marking stuff of my list, and exploring different areas have all revealed new and different aspects of London than before. How great is this city? You must come visit and simply see for yourself. 

All of these are teaching me new and different things about myself. It is crazy how a city can do that...

Here's to discovering more about both myself and this city.  

No comments:

Post a Comment