Monday, November 14, 2011

It's Always Sunny in Oxford

Oxford
The Cotwolds. Dover. Canterbury. Oxford. Can it all be done in one weekend? Well, yes it can. It was indeed my weekend (this post is a lil late that intended, so it was two weekends ago) It is Wednesday, and I am still recovering a bit. Worth it? Oh, yes!!

The Cotswolds were amazing. The countryside was beautiful, and the shopping was great. So duh... I fell in love with it. The quaint towns were a breath of fresh air to the constant movement of London. Katie our house manger planned the trip, so almost everyone went aka crazy times occurred. Kathleen made grown men cry, Isaac became the star of the group (Really when is he not… he is just that cute), and we cliffed, dated, and married.  I have been so blessed this semester to have such great friends to share this experience with.
Dover and Canterbury was the next day. Remember how I’m in a class that focuses on expats and exiles… well my group planned the fieldtrip to Dover Castle and Canterbury Cathedral for class. Dover Castle was by far the best castle I have been to, and the white cliffs (I only saw them from a far) were beautiful. We didn’t really spend that much time in Dover, but we did have a TTM (total tourist moment). As we were riding down from the castle, We spotted some sheep and were so amazed out taxi driver pulled over and let us out to take pictures...hey sometimes you just have to be a tourist. Off to Canterbury we went. Evensong at the cathedral was out first stop. It was a beautiful service, and the boys choir was ahhhhmazing!! We then explored the cathedral some and then rest of Canterbury. Cath Kidston was found, and I am pretty sure I fell in love with about every item.
Harvest at Oxford

Roger!
Now, Oxford. Remember Roger? He is our precious neighbor who made us shake our fists at The Holiday Inn. Well, he attended Magdalen College in Oxford where C.S. Lewis taught. Roger graciously offered to take a group of us with him to Oxford. I visited Oxford the first time I came to London, but I was beyond excited about this trip!! Roger met us on our doorstep and announced he had a surprise. The annual antique car race from London to Brighton was today!! So, we took a detour to Westminster Bridge, and saw the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang like cars. It was magical, watching cars that are older than my country drive by Westminster, Big Ben, The House of Parliament, and The London Eye. Once, we had our fill of the cars, we headed to Oxford. 
As you can imagine, I was exhausted. I am pretty sure it took me all of about 10 minutes to fall asleep. The sleep was wonderful, but I was soon awoken by the words “it is always sunny in Oxford” and Roger’s huge smile. We arrived in Oxford and immediately got down to business. We saw around six collages, climbed the tower, and visited the Eagle and Child where C.S. Lewis wrote. It all went by so fast, but by the best part was Roger. He is so knowledgeable, and the visit to his alma mater was spectacular.

Family Photo
Here’s to people who just make you smile.

Cheers Mates.   

1 comment: